The start and history of the General Maczek Museum in Breda
In the seventies of the last century the honourable gentlemen A.J.M. van Alphen, C. Coenders en W. Mol started to collect items, books en writings about the events in Breda during World War Two.Especially the liberation of the town by the 1e Polish Armoured Division which was lead by General Maczek was of their interest. The collection grew to a private museum in one of the founders houses.
The foundation was instituted in 1981, and received the name Museum of Breda Poland 1939-1945. After a visit to the exhibition, which was organised in the building of the St Olof retail school, General Maczek approved that his name could be connected to the museum. The foundations name now: “Foundation Museum of Breda Poland 1939-1945 General Maczek”.
In 1997 the museum was transferred to the current location: Trip van Zoudtlandtkazerne in Breda.